tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 11 00:24:52 1997

Re: Pronunciation

Duncan Barrett asks:
>How do you pronounce the double glottal stop in words like yIja''egh (TKD,
>p. 35)?

*I* pronounce it the same way I pronounce any double stop in Klingon:
I "hold" the stop for a moment before releasing it.  If I'm feeling
particularly pedantic, I let a puff of breath escape slightly in the
middle of the sound.  I do *not* pronounce it as if it were a single
letter unless I'm very tired and not paying enough attention to what
I'm saying.

SuStel says:
>No, you don't say the consonant twice.

Sometimes *I* do, if I'm being extremely precise in my pronunciation.
But I *always* say {Q} and {ch} and {j} twice in words like {meQQo'}
and {Qochchugh} and {tujjaj}, and {beHHom} and {meghghom} tend to get
a doubled sound as well.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level