tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 22:09:58 1997

Re: Analysis of new Skybox cards

Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> >From: Bill Willmerdinger <[email protected]>
>
> >{beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH latlh tlhInganpu'.}
> >"The other Klingons cry out small howls, howls, great howls."
> >
> >This is mega-weird.  If I didn't have the English text of the card I'd
> >be completely lost.  This is apparently how you express a series of
> >events through time...??????  I can see how he's thinking "crescendo"
> >here, but I'm not sure how I'd do this with other nouns.  There ought to
> >be a {je} on that list, oughtn't there?
>
> Probably... I dunno, I don't really see this as quite as earth-shattering
> as some others seem to (though I may change my mind).  It just seems to be
> a little natural asyndeton for effect.  I'm not ready to say "yep, that's a
> provable, productive construction for progression..."

"asyndeton" yImugh!  jIyajbe'.

> Interesting about vI', though.  I really would have expected DoD.

Why?  {DoD} is "mark (in coordinates)".  Truly accurate coordinates
would need decimals (and if you think decimals aren't important for warp
speed travel, do some elemtary math and figure out how many trillion
kilometers off course you'd be after a while at warp 9.9!)

For example, a Commander might give this order:

{DeghwI'!  He chu' yIghoS.  wa' vagh vI' vagh DoD chorgh loS vI' jav
Soch vagh yIghun.  yIruch!}

(By the way, I've come to love using {yIruch} as "Engage" or "Make it
so".  After all, even that Fed Janeway says, "Do it.")

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'

[email protected]