tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 15:09:15 1997

Re: KLBC:Intermidiate Sentences

[email protected] on behalf of William  Cody wrote:
> I forgot to add KLBC the first time.  Sorry.  Are these correct??
>
> 1)ghargh thlingan HoD Sop vatwI'.

See TKD 3.4 on how to construct possessives.

"Cook" is {vutwI'}.

tlhIngan HoD ghargh Sop vutwI'
The chef ate the Klingon captain's serpent worms.

Note: when prepared as food, serpent worms are called {qagh}.

tlhIngan HoD qagh Sop vutwI'.

> vatwI' HoH HoD.  vatwI' Sop HoD

maj.  {vutwI'} for both of these.

> 1)The chef ate the Klingon Captain's ghargh.  The Captain killed the chef.
> The Captain ate the chef.
>
> 2)qup jIHbe'.  wa'maH wej jIH.

To tell how old you are, tell us how long ago you were born.

wa'maH wej ben jIbogh
I was born 13 years ago.

This is how it's done in Klingon.

> *Live Oak, Florida* vIyinDaq.

You don't "live something" like this.  You live, and it occurs in Florida.
This needs the Type 5 noun suffix {-Daq} "locative" and the no-object prefix.
{-Daq} goes on the NOUN, not the verb.

*Life Oak, Florida*Daq jIyIntaH.

I also added the {-taH} because you are presumably living there continuously.
Just saying {jIyIn} implies that you performed that particular action (living)
and that's it.  Living is an ongoing process.

> wej
> be'nI'pu' vIghaj ej' wa' ngo'wI', cha' QupwI'.

You've got the right verbs, but you're using too many of them as nouns.

wej be'nI'pu' vIghaj.  ngo' wa' 'ej Qup cha'.
I have three sisters.  One is old and two are young.  (Note that you can use
numbers as nouns like this.  See TKD 5.2.)

I wonder if Klingons "have" family members, or if they express relationships
in some other way.  It certainly is an idiom.

> qochHom pagh vIghaj.

{pagh} doesn't work like a verb, it works like a number.  It's "zero."

pagh qochHom vIghaj.
I have no partner.

> muchop!!

As a command, "Bite me!" requires an imperative preifx.  See TKD 4.1.2.

HIchop!
Bite me!

--
SuStel                                       -- qoH vuvbe' SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level