tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 06 15:20:07 1997

Re: Apposition

ghItlh peHruS:

>> mogh puqloD 'oHbogh wo'rIv'e' jIH
>> I am Worf, Mogh's son.
>
>I'd write mogh puqloD wo'rIv jIH

That would seem to read "I am Worf of the son of Mogh." The whole thing I'm
going for is avoiding the N-N apposition which looks just like possession. If
I say

verengan jagh parwI' ghaH

it means "He is the hater of the enemy of the Ferengi." It cannot mean "He is
the enemy of the Ferengi, the hater," or "He is the Ferengi, the hater of the
enemy." These would need to be, in turn;

verengan jagh ghaHbogh parwI''e' ghaH
verengan ghaHbogh jagh parwI''e' ghaH

This, as charghwI' pointed out, is not true apposition, but I believe it is as
close as we can come.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level