tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 04 05:18:39 1997

Re: ghuHmoH

You are approaching my example of a transitive verb with {-moH}
without apparent exposure to Okrand's example of exactly that in
canon. Right now it is too late for me to pull out the example.
Just trust me. The grammar progression goes like this:

bIlegh. "You see."

yIH Dalegh. "You see the tribble."

qaleghmoH. "I cause you to see."

SoHvaD yIH vIleghmoH. "I cause you to see the tribble."

It doesn't look right, but it is. One of the SkyBox trading
cards gave us an example of this use of a transitive verb with
{-moH} on it and it confused most of us for quite some time. It
took a while for me to wrap my brain around the concept, but as
best as I can explain it, the litteral translation of that last
version would be:

"I caused seeing the tribble for you."

That makes me see the one before that as:

"I caused-seeing you." While the second person is grammatically
indicated as the object, it is actually an indirect object. I
caused-seeing FOR you. I caused you to see.

Since we never saw {qaleghmoH} in these terms, we had no
foundation for "I caused you to see the tribble." Okrand gave us
that foundation. I think it was the card referring to his sash.

I hope this helps.

charghwI'

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997 09:37:21 -0700 (PDT)  Neal Schermerhorn
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlh charghwI':
>
> >... {ghuHmoH} could properly be used as:
>
> >SoHvaD yIHvetlh vIghuHmoHpu'. "I have warned you about
> >that tribble."
>
> DIch 'oH'a'? Leaving out the SoHvaD and the suffixes (other than -moH) gives
> us:
>
> yIH vIghuHmoH
>
> Now yIH vIghuH is clearly "I am alerted to the tribble"  Adding the -moH means
> the subject makes the object act the verb.
>
> yIH vIghuHmoH = I cause the tribble to be alerted.
>
> Your sentence really reads "I have warned that tribble about you!" 'ej naDev
> ghaHtaHvIS tlhIngan SuvwI''e' 'ang'eghvIpbej yIHmeyvetlh, qar'a'?
>
> Qermaq

Back to archive top level