tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 03 16:21:44 1997

Re: KLBC:Basic Klingon Vocabulary2

[email protected] on behalf of cha'wIgh wrote:

> > http://www.wumpus.demon.co.uk/vocab.htm
> >
> > My question is directed to SuStel : are these all correct?
>
> > Basic Klingon Vocabalary
>
> > Yes ( answer qustions that need yes or no)
> > Hija'

Remember to capitalize every {I}.  Otherwise, this is right.

> > No, (answers qustions that only need yes or no)
> >
> > ghobe

ghobe'

Note the final glottal stop.  It's a letter, just like any other, and must be
included.

> > No,don't I won't
> >
> > qo

Qo'

You MUST capitalize the {Q}.  You must also add the glottal stop, {'}.

If had a lowercase {q}, the word would be {qo'} "world, realm."  Remember {q}
and {Q} are different sounds.

> > Hello ( Roughly, "What do you want?")
> >
> > nuqneH

In my opinion, {nuqneH} is not used like "hello" is, but is used as one might
use "Waddya want?"  Others disagree.

> > What's happening?
> >
> > qaStaH nuq?

maj.  There's also the adverbial {chay'} "how?" which, when used by itself,
means "What's going on?"

> > Huh?
> >
> > nuqatlh?

This is used when you don't understand what someone has just said.  It's got a
{j} in it: {nuqjatlh}.

> > I understand
> >
> > jIyaj

maj.

> > I don,t understand
> >
> > jIyabe

Once again, the final glottal stop is important.

jIyajbe'.

 > > > Good! (Expression of satisfaction)
> >
> > maj
> >
> > Well done!
> >
> > majQa

majQa'

Glottal stop.

> > Where is the bathroom ?
> >
> > nugDaq

{nuqDaq}, with a {q}, means "where?"  "Bathroom" is {puchpa'}, literally,
"toilet-room."  To say "Where is <something>," you use the "to be"
construction (TKD 6.3).

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?

> > Open the door!
> >
> > lojmit yIposmoH!

Always capitalize {S}, too.

> > Come in
> >
> > yI,el

You meant another glottal stop, of course.  yI'el

> > Come here
> >
> > Highos

HIghoS

> > Go away
> >
> > naDevvo'yIghos

That's two words.

naDevvo' yIghoS

> > Don't be silly
> >
> > yiDoghQo

yIDoghQo'

You're doing fine.  Just a couple of simple things to remember.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level