tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 20 14:44:45 1997

RE: KLBC:shades of meaning

January 20, 1997 7:42 AM EST, jatlh Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen:

>      Dajqu'bogh paq vIlaD.
>      I read a very interesting book.
>
> peHruS writes:
>
> > While Dajqu'bogh paq is appears to be grammatically correct, why not
> > simply use paq Dajqu'.

> Of course, if you wanted to talk about a book that
> was both purchased and interesting, I think we have some options.  One is
> to use the traditional terse Klingon approach and make two sentences of
> it:
>
> vIje'bogh paq vIlaD. Dajqu'bogh paq vIlaD.

Er . . . actually, this would be

paq vIje'bogh vIlaD.  Dajqu'bogh paq vIlaD.

Remember, in the first sentence, {paq} is the object of the phrase {vIje'bogh}
"which I bought," and the entire phrase {paq vIje'bogh} is the object of the
main verb, {vIlaD}.

In the second sentence, {paq} is the *subject* of the phrase {Dajqu'bogh}
"which is interesting," and the entire phrase {Dajqu'bogh paq} is the object
of the main verb, {vIlaD}.

> or make the more complex sentence by using the stative verb to modify the
> noun (as peHruS suggested):
>
> vIje'bogh paq Dajqu' vIlaD.

paq Dajqu' vIje'bogh vIlaD.

--