tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 17 15:51:37 1997

RE: SuStel beginer's grammarian

January 17, 1997 10:00 AM EST, jatlh QeylIS (A S Lee):

> Hello, I'm not to good and have just joined the list.

Hi!  I see you've named me in the subject line.  For future reference, please
direct Beginners' Grammarian questions by putting "KLBC" in the subject line.
If the BG changes, you won't have to learn the new name immediately!  And I
may get self-conscious . . .

> I was wandering what
> name i should use when i came up with the following:
>
> QeylIs, SuvwI'pu' pIn'a'
>
> I was trying to say, "QeylIS, Master of the ones who fight"

maj.

> I also tried to translate the following:
>
> 1. Set Disruptors on kill!
>
> 2. On your left, fire!
>
> 3. Behind you
>
> 4. We must die with honor
>
> I came up with:

If you could, put each translation directly below it's Klingon equivalent.
That'll keep me from having to page up and down to see the other version.

> 1. yIchoH pu'mey HoH!

Hey, this looks familiar!  Didn't you get my last message?  I'll CC you this
one privately to make sure you get it.

You're not far off on this.  Here are my current thoughts on this: use a
purpose clause.  See TKD section 6.2.4.  Also, {yIchoH pu'mey} means "phasers
change."  You want to command someone to change phasers.

HoHmeH pu'mey tIchoHmoH!
In order that they kill, change the phasers!

Note the {tI-} imperative prefix.  {pu'mey} is plural, and uses the
appropriate plural object prefix.

> 2. poSlIjDaq, baH!

This would do for clipped Klingon (which, given the apparent circumstances,
would be fine).  For the full version, add an imperative prefix.  {poSlIjDaq
yIbaH!} "Fire to your left!"

> 3. Dung soH!

This means "The area above's you."  There isn't an obvious word for "behind,"
although you might try {'o'} "aft."  In this case, you'd say {'o'lIjDaq} "At
your aft!"  It's not a complete sentence, and we're hoping that {'o'} isn't
only used to describe the aft of a space vessel (which I suspect may be the
case).

A problem with this is that the person may start examining their rear-end!
You might shout {yItlhe'!} "Turn!"

> 4. batlh HeghnIs maH

The only problem with this (besides a lower-case {S}), is that the verb must
have a prefix.  Although you've stated {maH} explicitly, you must still use a
prefix.  {maH} is optional, the prefix is not.  The prefix is {ma-}.

batlh maHeghnIS maH

or

batlh maHeghnIS

--