tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 13 14:07:05 1997

RE: KLBC Good

January 12, 1997 11:46 PM EST, jatlh qeyloS:

> How do you say something is good. I know good is *QaQ*. But how would I say
> are you well (good) or I hope you are well.
>
> QaQ SoH 'e' vItul
> I hope that you are good(well)

In English, being "well" refers to health.  It's not talking about being good.
 For this, I'd simply say

bIpIv 'e' vItul.
I hope that you are healthy.

> now for a question
> QaQ'a' SoH?
> Are you well/good?

I'd say

bIpIv'a'?
Are you healthy?

> How you you use it with a verb.
> ghIQ is vacation. Did you have a good vacation. Was your vacation good? I
> maybe able to recast this How was your vacation but I would have to nomilize
> vacation and make it posesive. Maybe?
> your vacation, it was good?
> QaQ'a' 'oH ghIQpu'ghachlIj'e'

Your grammar here is wrong, anyway.  You don't use both a pronoun and a noun
in the subject position.  {QaQ} and other stative verbs have the "be" part of
the translation built-in.

This time, what's "good" mean?  You're asking if I enjoyed it.

bIghIQ 'e' DatIv'a'?
Did you enjoy vacationing?

> I'm not really sure about this since I seem to be use ghach wrong.

Well, I'd accept this use of {-ghach}, I think, although it feels funny.
Maybe {ghIQta'ghach} would be better.  Still, I avoid {-ghach} whenever
possible.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian