tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 12 21:08:08 1997

RE: lut tlhaQ

January 12, 1997 8:18 PM EST, jatlh Voragh:

> On Sun, 12 Jan 1997, Kenneth Traft wrote:
> |Actually in the Hallmark commerical <wov> was used as a noun.
>
> 	Qapqu' wov.  po' 'oH jan Hov'e'.
> 	It even has working lights!
> Lit. "The light functions very well. The star device is skillful." I'm
> assuming that jan Hov (or janHov?) refers to the illuminated Christmas
> tree ornament itself.

Bah.  I wouldn't put any faith in this "evidence."  I sure hope that this
isn't the mysterious source of {po} as a noun too, is it?  I mean, the "to be"
sentence is all wrong!

> wov is also a component in the compound noun maSwov "moonlight".

Complex noun, not compound noun.  {wov} has not come close to being proven a
noun to me.  Until it does, it's not a compound at all.  A compound is a
string of two or more simple nouns pushed together.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level