tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 09 16:20:09 1997

RE: Krankor's article

January 09, 1997 6:48 PM EST, jIjatlh:

> I was really enjoying Krankor's article until I reached this point.  I have
> the same problem with it that you did.  We have never seen nouns with Type 5

> suffixes modifying other nouns.  Indeed, despite Krankor's assertion that
his
> {-vo'} trick is completely grammatical, it is not.  TKD p. 31 says, "When
the
> noun-noun construction is used, only the second noun can take syntactic
> suffixes (Type 5)."  This would appear to invalidate this trick.

Actually, I've just realized that this could be wrong.  Krankor's trick is not
a possessive construction, which may be only what "noun-noun" is referring to.
 Still, I don't like the "trick."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian