tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 09 08:45:54 1997

Re: Krankor's article

Terrence Donnelly wrote:
:> I'm confused by one section of Captain Krankor's article in the latest
:> HolQeD.  He writes {mulegh SuvwI'pu'vo' cha'}, meaning 'two of the
:> warriors see me'.  I'll accept the odd word order, which I guess is
:> justified because {SuvwI'pu'} is supposed to modify only {cha'}.
:> (Like if I said {HaDI'baH pe' ghojmeH taj} 'the boy's knife/practice
:> knife cuts the meat', where {ghojmeH} is meant to modify only {taj}.)

'Iwvan replied:
:How do we know that this is possible, though?  What canonical examples
:of nouns in oblique cases or purpose clauses modifying nouns are there?

Examples with -meH:

QongmeH qItI'nga Duj = "a K'Tinga-class sleeper ship" (QongmeH Duj =
"sleeper ship") is mentioned in:

tera' vatlh DISpoH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga Duj tI'ang ghompu'
DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was encountered in the
24th century by the USS Enterprise. (Skybox card S15)

SuvwI' DevmeH paq "A Warrior's Guide" (TKW subtitle) -- DevmeH paq =
"guidebook/handbook"?

qa'meH vIttlhegh = a "replacement proverb" (derived from quvqa'meH vIttlhegh
"a proverb [for the purpose of] being honored again") Cf. MO column in
HolQeD (I forget the number).

ghojmeH taj a "boy's knife" (i.e a "knife for learning") KCD - this seems to
be a noun phrase, but are there any attestations of how it is used in a
*Klingon* sentence?

The other examples of -meH seem to work as standard purpose clauses
modifying other verbs. Or did I miss something?

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level