tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 03 05:49:11 1997

RE: KLBC: More Phrases

Hi

> > pa'Daq HoD jImoj'a' Saqoy'qu'
> > And is this happy new year??

Nope. I wanted to be a channel opearator in an IRC channel.

> I certainly hope this was not intended to be a translation.

No! Hehh. I forgot to put the english for the above phrase!

> Your Klingon sentence seems to be saying "I *really* begged all of you, 'Do I
> become a captain in the room?'"  If this is really what you meant, the only
> problem is that you'd need the {vI-} suffix, and not the {jI-} suffix, on
> {moj}.

Yes! That is exactly what I wanted to say. (point taken about vI-)

> If you walked up to a Klingon and said "Have a happy New Year!" he'd probably
> respond by glaring at you and saying {jISaHbe'}.  Translating this sentence
> literally just won't cut it in Klingon.  (Okay, it would *literally* be
> {Quchbogh DIS chu' yIghaj}.  But can you "have" a unit of time?  It's not a
> thing you can hold.  And do Klingons *care* if the year is happy?  I doubt it.
>  And is the *year* happy, or are *you*?)
>
> I prefer to use (if I must) the sentence
>
> qaStaHvIS DIS chu' bIQapjaj!
> May you be successful during the New Year!

I know its not very klingon but I was being bugged to come up with
something. Thanks.

G.

Back to archive top level