tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 01 15:11:30 1997

RE: KLBC: My first real try / nIDna'wIj wa'

January 01, 1997 3:54 PM, jatlh R�my Villeneuve:

> - It's cold... Really cold in space.
> - It's time to leave, captain.
> -True! It's time... Time for victory. My victory!
> -Succes!

> -bIr... loghna'Daq bIr .

That's an interesting use of {-na'}.  There's nothing grammatically wrong with
this sentence, but I'm not sure why you want to emphasize that the space you
are talking about is definitely space.

Also, if you want to put emphasis on the fact that it's cold ("really cold"),
you can use the {-qu'} suffix:

loghna'Daq bIrqu'.

or

loghDaq bIrqu'.

> -poH mej , HoD .

This really means "He leaves a period of time."  {poH} doesn't mean an instant
of time, it means a period of time.  And don't forget verb prefixes!

This sentence is tough to render directly into Klingon.  The best thing to do
here is to reword your original idea before translating:

We must leave now, captain.
DaH mamejnIS, HoD.

> -HiSlaH ! poH ... poH yayvaD. yaywIj !

When you use the {-vaD} suffix, make sure you aren't just seeing the English
word "for" and using it.  It doesn't just mean "for."  It means that the noun
it's attached to is the beneficiary of the action.  Since there is no action,
this gets confusing.  Since we began rewording, let's continue:

HISlaH!  DaH . . . yay.  yaywIj!

Please remember that these are NOT complete sentences!

> -Qapla' !
> =================
> Ok, so what are my errors (I know I've made one in each at least...)
> I've begun with rather simple phrases, even most of them are using only
> a noun, just to practice with suffixes and prefixes!

That's good.  It's better to start small and work your way up.  But don't
focus so much on nouns.  Verbs are the really important part of Klingon
speech!

P.S.  Do you put an html copy of all your mail at the end?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level