tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 27 15:09:23 1997

RE: KLBC: tlhIngan lut 2

On Thursday, February 27, 1997 2:00 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Mark
E. Shoulson wrote:

> >veSmey law' vISuv 'ej batlh jISuv!
> >
> >Notice that I took the {-ta'} off of {vISuv}.  Since he's talking about the

> >time that he fought all these wars, he hadn't already finished them at that

> >time.  Remember, the time context is {ben law'} and {Suboghpa'}.  If you're

> >still unsure of this, refer back to TKD section 4.2.7.
>
> Hmm.  But can you fight a war?  You can in English, but does it make sense
> in Klingon?  It may.  I'm less opposed to this than to some other proposals
> for object-places.  Obviously you can fight an enemy, but the battle
> itself?

Good point.  Well, that's easily fixed:

veSmey law'vaD jISuv 'ej batlh jISuv!
I fought for many wars, and I fought honorably!

More specifically, "I fought, and the beneficiaries of that fighting were the
many wars, and I fought honorably."

Also, in a different case, we have

noH ghoblu'DI' yay quv law' Hoch quv puS.
In war, there is nothing more honorable than victory.

{noH ghoblu'DI'} "when one wages war war."  Still, this is an entirely
different situation.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian