tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 26 17:11:30 1997

RE: KLBC:jIrop

On Wednesday, February 26, 1997 11:27 AM, [email protected] on behalf of
[email protected] wrote:

> jIrop.
> I am sick.

Do'Ha'!  ropchoHbe' tlhInganpu'!

> tuj QuchwIj 'ach jIbIr.
> My forehead is hot but I am cold.

jIyaj.

> jIwuQtah jay'
> I have a hell of a headache.  (I have a headache continuously, intensely.)

Just watch your spelling: {jIwuQtaH}.

*Excellent* use of {jay'}, by the way!  majQa'!

> tlhuHlaHbe' ghIchwIj.
> My nose can't breathe. (I want to say:I can't breathe through my nose.)

Hmmm . . . yeah, it's a bit funny, as your nose doesn't have its own set of
lungs.  Okay, how about recasting it like this:

HuvHa' ghIchwIj vaj jItlhuHchu'be'.
My nose is clogged, so I do not breathe clearly.

It seems to be missing something, though.  Still, there are other ways to do
this.

> muvorchoHmeH Hergh munobpu' Qel.
> The doctor gave me medicine to cure me.

Good, except I don't know if you really want the {-choH} there.  It's not
wrong, but {muvorchoHmeH} means "in order to begin to cure me."  I'd just
leave it off: {muvormeH} "in order to cure me."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level