tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 26 12:05:44 1997

Re: KLBC:lopno'

> maqlIy wrote:
>
> :The only other word we have is yupma' for festival which sounds a little
> :formal for my intention.  How does anyone feel about lopwI'ghom?  As in
:
> :lopwI'ghom yImuv!  Join the party!
>
> Analogous to tIjwI'ghom, right? Keep in mind, though, that lopwI' may be
> terminus technicus for the nentay "initiate". Cf. Skybox Card S9 ("Age of
> Ascension"):
>
>   poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'. chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'.
luchovmeH
> 'oy'naQmey lo'.
>   The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors who test him with
> painstiks.
>
> Literally a "celebrant," I've also seen this person referred to as an
> "ascendee" in fandom

That's interesting.  I had forgotten about that Skybox quote.  However,
since *lop* is given in TKD merely as "celebrate", and the fact that it is
used in reference to other holidays like *QI'lop* I feel fairly safe using
*lop* in a general sense.  As for how to say "Join the party", I think it
would be simplest just to say *yIlop!*
.
SuSvaj

Quote for the day!

"A soldier shouldn't think!  Do you
think that if a man thought twice, he'd
give his life for queen and country?  Not
bloody likely!  He wouldn't go near the
battle field!"

Sean Connery
"The Man Who Would be King"