tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 12 20:24:53 1997

Re: Hi, and is there a word for...

|-- [ From: Don or Carey or Rich * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

|Greetings.  I'm only just beginning to learn tlhIngan Hol, so I'll post my
|question in English:  is there a tlhIngan Hol word for trekker/trekkie?

Yes and no. Although Marc Okrand has used {Hov leng} for "Star Trek," he
hasn't supplied us with a term for "Trekker." Several have been proposed by
others for "fan." The ones that seem to be used most often are:

*Ho'wI'	     literally an "admirer"
*ngaqwI'     lit. a "supporter". The Klingon Language Institute has used
	     {Hov leng ngaqwI'pu'} for "Star Trek fans" in a couple of
	     its documents.
*ngotlhwI'   lit. a "fanatic" (which is, I believe, the origin of the
	     English term "fan")

You can choose the one that best describes the level of your interest,

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level