tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 12 09:00:30 1997

Re:KLBC:Success

          <<lujpu'gach nujvo' yaH Qapla'

          <Grammatically, it's okay, but "having failed's mouth" sounds pretty
          <weird to me.  I smell a chance to toss in a little-used suffix
          here...

          <lujbeHghachvo' yaH Qapla'.

          From my understanding the -beH suffix is used only to ready a device.
          I really don't like your version. lujpu'gach nujvo' means "from the
          mouth of having failed." having failed is a way of saying "failure"
          hence the phrase "Success is taken away from the mouth of failure!"

          <Hmm.  Success "being taken away" also doesn't strike me as having the
          <right meaning.  I like the idea of "being captured" better...

          <lujbeHghachvo' Qapla' jonlu'.

          I like the being captured idea. But forget the lujbeHghachvo' for the
          reasons above.

               lujpu'ghach nujvo' Qapla' jonlu'

          One captures success from the mouth of having failed.

          or more appropriate

          One captures succes from the jaws of failure.

          since mouth is the closest thing Klingon has to the word jaw.

          <-- ghunchu'wI'

          Qapla'
          ro' tuq may'qal - ghojmoHwI'

Back to archive top level