tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 10 19:25:58 1997

"It even has working lights!" (Hallmark)

|~mark writes:
|>Why do I keep thinking "'uD" means "photon" and "'uD'a'" is a laser?  It's
|>not the kind of thing I would have thought of; I probably saw it
|>somewhere.  Anyone?
|
|The TKD Addendum vocabulary includes {'otlh} "photon".  I don't remember
|seeing any speculation on {*'uD}.

|-- ghunchu'wI'

This got me to thinking of all the terms we have for light(s). Let's see:

'otlh	photon (n)
'uD	? (n?)
'uD'a'	laser (n)
tIH	ray (n)
maSwov	moonlight (n)

wov 	be light, bright (v)
Hurgh	be dark (v) ["Quality, to be lacking light." MSN]
wew	glow (v)
boch	shine, be shiny (v)

And there is the always controversial:

wov	light (n) (Hallmark commercial)

Here is my current version of the relevant line:

   Qapqu' wov.  po' 'oH janHom'e'.
   "It even has working lights!" (subtitle)

I wonder whether the subtitle wasn't changed in post-production after
Okrand translated it.  (Anyone know anything about the filming of this
commercial?) SuStel categorically rejects wov as a noun, but I haven't seen
him post a better transcription of what the Klingon crewman is saying as he
holds up the little Bird-of-Prey ornament and examines it admiringly.

When this came up a couple of weeks ago, I tried to find my videotape of
the Hallmark commercial, but I seem to have lost track of it. I'm sure it's
somewhere on one of my tapes of Klingon episodes, but I must have forgotten
to make a note of it on the label. ghuy'cha'! If anyone else can look at
their recording and re-transcribe the line, I'd appreciate it. Please
listen to it again, don't just copy your notes. But do try to record what
you actually hear the actor say, *not* what you want him to say. (Which is
something that's easier said than done.)

Voragh

Back to archive top level