tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 02 12:53:05 1997

Re: Hello (son of)

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, eric d. zay wrote:

|> ghItlh peHruS:
|> ><< So how would you say "orphan"?
|> >I don't know either.  But SoSchIm is "surrogate mother."
|>
|> mu'qoqvam <*SoSchIm> vIghovbe'.
|> <TKD>Daq vISambe'. <HolQed>Daq vISambe'.
|> Dat vInejlaw' 'ach vISambe'taH.
|> nuqDaq Daleghpu' SoH?
|
|tlhIngan Hol mu' teH 'oHbe'. *TNG episode*vo' ghoS mu'vam.
|
|SuSvaj

Actually the word was <Soh'chIm>. Since it refers to a type of "mother,"
many people on this list have assumed that Dorn was mispronouncing {SoS}.
Here is the entry from the Klingon Database area on ST:Continuum on MSN
(info provided by Paramount from the scripts):

  Soh'chIm
  Klingon word meaning, roughly, a foster mother. (Reference: Parallels)

Even though it's Paramount Hol, and thus *not* legal tlhIngan Hol (at least
on this list), we should try to spell this stuff right in our "serious"
deliberations of Klingon linguistics. <g>

BTW, those of you on MSN really ought to take a look at the Klingon
Compendium areas, especially the Klingon Database. Among lots of other
tidbits about Klingon culture, Paramount has provided nearly all of the
Paramount Hol spoken in the television episodes, "correctly" spelled (a few
are a little different than the hastily typed closed captions), and often
accompanied with the translation the actors were given so they knew how to
deliver the line. Some of it is really quite interesting.

Voragh

Back to archive top level