tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 30 20:13:59 1997

Re: KLBC:suffixes

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 16:53:35 -0800 (PST) chas
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >According to chas:

> >>         SoH DuyepHa''a'moH QeH'a'lIj?
> >
> >Well, now you need to look at the suffix order. I know it is a
> >lot of details to get straight, but it works better and you
> >learn more if instead of looking at what you've done as if it
> >were a painting where you just want to fix a detail, look at
> >the whole thing again. Focusing on one detail makes it easy to
> >forget things like suffix order.
> >
>         bIlugh
>
>         SoH DuyepHa'moH'a' QeHlIj'a'
>                 Does your wrath make you careless?

PERFECT! Thanks for hanging in there until you got it all right.
Do realize that you are emphasizing, "Does your wrath make YOU
careless?" Otherwise, you don't need SoH.

>                         Qapla' DaH'a'?
>                                 Now do I get it?

Unfortunately, not with that sentence. {DaH} is an adverbial.
You can't put verb suffixes on it, and it has to come at the
beginning of the sentence. {DaH jIQap'a'?} is what you wanted.

>         mulI' QaH'a'raj - qanob tlho'wIj
>                 Your mentoring is useful to me - I give you my appreciation

Okay, let's back up a couple steps. You do know that the "you"
in "your help" is plural here, right? Just making sure that was
intentional. If that's true, then {mulI' QaH'a'raj} is okay. For
the other sentence, remember Object, Verb, Subject. Right words.
Wrong sequence.

> chasm

charghwI'

Back to archive top level