tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 26 18:40:49 1997

Re: Meaning of nuqneH

ghItlh William Cody:

>nuqneH is a greeting with the meaning "What do you want" The question I
>have is: many people begin their postings with "nuqneH" Wouldn't this be
>like starting a conversation by walking up to someone and saying "What do
>you want?"? Wouldn't the person being addressed need to say "nuqneH",
>NOT
>the person addressing? I understand it is used as a greeting, but is it
>being used by the wrong person in a conversation?

I responded to a similar question once on the MSN BBS and MO followed up.
First is MO's follow-up, then my post. The implication seems to be that it's
not out-and-out horrible, but it is incorrect within Klingon culture.
Whether posters to this list are to conform to Klingon culture is another
argument.

Qermaq