tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 25 22:14:38 1997

KLBC -- jIlIHegh (extreme beginner)

nuqneH.  *notjISaH* 'oH pongwIj 'e'.  ghomvamDaq jIchu'.  DaHjaj jIHvaD TKD
nobpu' loDnI'wIj.  tlhingan Hol ghojmeH vIqeqtaH.  jIwebeghpu'be' 'e' vItul.
:-)

wa'maH' Soch ben boghpu'.  ghojwI' jIH.  *University of Richmond, VA*Daq
De'wI'mey QeD yab joq vIHaDtaH.  toH...Doy' jIH.

Hmm...well, just to help out anyone reading this, it was supposed to say
approximately:

Hello.    (Is "nuqneH" an appropriate general greeting, or should it only be
used in a context where the "what do you want?" thing makes more sense?)
My name is notjISaH.    (I just made that up a few minutes ago.  Is there some
formula for creating names?  Or is this one dangerously close to any
known/taken ones?)      I am new to this group.   (Is there an accepted
expression for "mailing list" 'round here?)    Today my brother gave me TKD.
(Christmas, wah-HOO!!  Hey, could I perhaps have written munobpu'  and dropped
the jIHvaD, and still have gotten the indirect object across? IF I did get it
across, that is...)     In order to learn the Klingon language, I am
practicing.  I hope that I have not disgraced myself (...YET... -- but this
expression was too difficult.)  :-)

I was born 17 years ago.    (I am 17 years old. -- can't figure out a good way
to express age...am I missing an idiom?)     I am a student.  I am studying
computer science and/or psychology     (QeD yab = "the mind's science"???)
at the University of Richmond in VA.  Well...I'm tired.

This is really fascinating.  I love languages in general, but I'm too sleepy
and overwhelmed to try to express anything else in Klingon tonight.

I was idly thinking about stuff I could figure out how to say, and it occurred
to me to try "dishwasher"...the machine or the person.  Unfortunately I can't
find a word for dish, so I am working on "washing machine."

Say'moHwI'         seems to make sense for "someone or something which washes
(makes clean)"  Assuming that's passable, I have a question about how to add
some kind of object in there.    Using "Sut" for clothing, can I maybe say
Sut Say'moHlu'wI'        ?  The lu' I mean to be the indefinite subject
suffix, but maybe it's not necessary?  I haven't really seen anything (I don't
think) saying that wI' can modify the whole thing together.  Probably I
haven't got a good enough grasp of the language to be messing w/ this, but I'd
love it if someone'd give me an opinion, or point me in the right
direction...or even just tell me I'm a moron and then do it correctly...  =)

thanks a lot!! g'night & happy holidays.

--notjISaH      (temporarily anyway)

Back to archive top level