tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 22 10:01:00 1997

Re: Spelling Note

: mujang SuSvaj
: >nuq?  jImIS.  [bInajtaHvIS qeylIS qa' Daghomjaj.] is correct for "May you
: >encounter the spirit of Kahless in your dreams. Why are you correcting him?
:
: No, what I'm saying is that the canon toast of this is without the {qa'}
: and "spirit."  Is this really the canon toast we're talking about?  Or is
: it some bizarre coincidence?
:
: qoror

Cf. "Power Klingon":

  SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj
  May the spirit of Kahless live within you! PK

  bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj
  May you encounter Kahless in your dreams! PK

If I remember the tape correctly, these are two of the traditional
salutations/toasts for Empire Union Day, which commemorates Kahless' uniting
the Klingon homeworld. It seemed likely that the original poster was
conflating the two. (Since Klingons are a little touchy about their
traditions, it's probably best to quote traditional sayings verbatim.) If,
however, the poster was stating an original thought, than it needs no
correction.

Klingon metaphysical observation:  although the spirit of Kahless can "live
within you," it seems you can meet Kahless himself in your dreams, *not* his
spirit. Perhaps to the Klingons, a warrior's spirit may inspire you to great
acts, but isn't a ghost-like apparition that returns to meet the living.
Here are some other uses of {qa'} in canon.

  qa' wIje'meH maSuv.
  We fight to enrich the spirit.
  (or, "We fight in order to feed the spirit.") TKW

  HeghDI' SuvwI' nargh SuvwI' qa'
  When a warrior dies, his spirit escapes.  TKW

  narghbe'chugh SuvwI' qa' taH may'
  If the warrior's spirit has not escaped, the battle is still going on. TKW

  qaSDI' nenghep, qa' patlh chu' chav tlhIngan SuvwI'
  The Age of Ascension marks a new level of spiritual attainment by a
Klingon warrior. S9

  SuvwI' qa' patlh veb chavlaHmeH tlhIngan lo'chu' chaH. toDujDaj toblu'
  [They] use the devices [i.e. painstiks] to inflict pain in a manner which
will allow the     Klingon to attain a higher state of spirituality as a
warrior, proving his mettle. S32

  "You truly have the spirit of Kahless within you!"
  (Martok to Worf after defeating seven (?) Jem'Hadar guards - "By Inferno's
Light")

In the spirit of the Season,
Voragh

Back to archive top level