tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 17 00:19:29 1997

Re: KLBC Challenge: similar suffixes

At 15:44 97-12-15 -0800, Dawut wrote:

}{-'a'}
}ghoj'a' ghom'a'?  "Is the crowd learning?"

You're asking about an ongoing proces, so I would recommend {-taH} or {-lI')
to match your English translation.  Your sentence says "did the crowd
learn?" "does the crowd learn?" or "will the crowd learn."  Dayaj'a'?

}{-lI'}
}qatlh bomqa'lI' SoSlI' chuS.  "Why is your noisy mother chanting
}again?."

Use {-lI'} when the ongoing process described has a definite conclusion.
Use {-taH} when the continuity and not the progress towards completion is
important.
I'd read this as "why is your noisy mother chanting it again?" letting the
{-lI'} imply that there is some particular non-perpetual chant that she is
chanting.

}{-mo'}
}maghoj juqaDmo' 'ej Sach Sovmaj qaDmeylIjmo'.
}"We learn because you challenge us, and due your challenges our
}knowledge expands."

Read the end of section 6.1.  Any noun in the sentence not acting as subject
or object precedes the main clause.  Thus {qaDmeylIjmo' Sach Sovmaj}.  There
isn't a rule to cite for the verb ending {-mo'}, but one of the grammarians
argues that verb + {-mo'} should be treated as the noun and go before the
main clause, too.  You probably would rearrange it for symmetry in any case.

}{-pu'}
}HoHpu' tlhInganpu' 'e' vIlegh.  "I see that the Klingons have killed
}them."

maj.

}{-wI'}
}wIjwI' ghaHbe' vavwI''e'.  "My father is not a farmer."

maj.

}juqaDmo' qatlho'.  batlh bIghojmoH.  tlhIngan SoHbej!

choHemmoH.  popwIj chaH jatlhwI'pu' chu''e'.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level