tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 13:35:52 1997

{Hogh} (was: Re: KLBC: Short and Easy)

In article <[email protected]>, Christiane Scharf
<[email protected]> writes
>Qov wrote:
>> At 23:54 97-12-15 -0800, James Coupe wrote:
>>
>> }>chay' yuQvam wIchargh?
>> }
>> }nganpu' Hogh tIHoH
>>
>> chaq *Friday*mey wInop 'ej *Monday* law' DIchel?
>>
>> }I'd appreciate what you *think* that says cos I'm not sure if I got it
>> }right or not.  Not to completely tell you what it is, but it's an N1-N2
>> }construction with a you-them imperative verb - I think.
>>
>> This *is* a noun-noun with a you-them imperative, and perfectly correct
>> Klingon for "Kill the inhabitants' weeks!"
>>
>> It wasn't until I read this out loud to my husband, in puzzlement at the
>> peculiar method someone was suggesting for conquering a planet, that I
>> realized you probably meant, "Kill the weak inhabitants!"  Check the
>> vocabulary and try this again.  See section 4.4 to see how to use verbs
>> adjectivally.  Noun-noun isn't the trick here.
>>
>> Qov     [email protected]
>> Beginners' Grammarian
>>
>The person who wrote this sentence isn't German, is he? The GREAT DOW (German
>TKD) really says "schwach"("weak") for {Hogh}!!!  :/

No, not German (about the only things I can remember from lessons are:
Entschuldigung, wie komme ich am bestem zum Bahnhof, bitte
Er ist bervuschloss (appaling spelling there)
Er nimmt Drogen

I'm just terrible at holding a book, reading it, flipping through dozens
of pages to find what I need and remember everything at once.

Hogh should have been Hoch.

--

James Coupe (remove some crap to reply)

Pah!! I hope it shits in your jogging suit!

Back to archive top level