tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 13 11:47:29 1997

Re: HOLES Redux

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Alexander Greene wrote:
|<Qargh> does seem to mean "fissure," as in "crack." This is the way I
|need it defined: as an interruption in horizontal ground, rather than a
|cave or entrance to the side of something vertical like a wall or a
|hillside.
|It doesn't cover terms such as "trench," "manhole" or "mineshaft" - all
|artificial holes - but it's a start (You can "dig" in Klingon, but what
|can you dig? Their groovy music, perchance?).

I suppose one can dig (or "mine") {tlhIl} a mine {tlhIlHal}. Whether this
refers to the mineshaft itself, as I suspect, or the entire operation
(including support buildings, etc.) is unknown. Perhaps, as in English, it
means both (pars pro toto). Canon is somewhat vague:

	cha'puj tlhIlHal vISuch vIneH.
	I want to visit the dilithium mines.  CK

	tlhIlHal yIngev!
	Sell the mine!  KGT

	tlhIlHal yIngIv!
	Patrol the mine!  KGT

|If Dr Okrand comes up with the Klingon for the above, plus <shaft> as in
|<mineshaft,> <turbolift or elevator shaft> and <air conditioning shaft>
|I would be delighted, as always.

What's wrong with {'och} "tunnel" for these?

|Some people are never satisfied ... ;-)

Voragh

Back to archive top level