tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 10 04:03:50 1997

Re: pIqaD in PC DOS mode

On 25 Nov 97 at 8:56, Anthony.Appleyard wrote:

> I have written a small .COM file which resets some of the DOS
> high-order characters so that they appear as pIqaD. The effect only
> works for the 8*16 pixels DOS font.

I've made such a EGA/VGA softfont of pIqaD characters as well. I use
it in the program that I use to lookup Klingon words from the word
lists I typed in myself (and that I still need update to KGT; I just
don't have the time!). The program is completely in Klingon.

Also, I've used that sane font I made in a small program I wrote for
RUN Flagazine (the magazine on disk I write for:
http;//www.worldaccess.nl/~telerun, later
http://home.wxs.nl/~telerun, in Dutch only) that explained to people
that there is such a thing as a Klingon language and tells them
something about it and where to get further information. To get a
catchy opening, when the program starts you'll get the first couple
of lines of Hamlet in pIqaD, and then the program continues with
something like "Oh, sorry. Based on your facial expression I take you
don't know Klingon yet. [etc]". <grin>

Qapla'
peSHIr

P.S. If anyone is interested, I have that font (and routines to turn
the font on and off, and the convert a romanized pIqaD string into
the right characters to print it on screen in the font in pIqaD) as a
single PowerBasic include file that you should be able to use in any
text-mode PowerBasic program. If anyone is interested, just let me
know.

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

Back to archive top level