tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 06 14:58:23 1997

Re: [proposal] translation for directions.

At 09:33 97-12-03 -0800, ~mark wrote:
}>Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:39:40 -0800 (PST)
}>From: "Neal Schermerhorn" <[email protected]>
}>
}>ghItlh Qov:
}>
}>>pem bIr Hov lurgh
}>
}>I don't get this one, Qov. "Daytime's cold star direction"? What about
}><DungluQ QIb lurgh>?
}
}Both of which might work if you're in the US or Canada, but your directions
}will be woefully off if you're in South Africa or New Zealand...

vISov.  wa' bID qellaw'mo' ghaH vItlha'.

}>>peQ chem lurgh
}>
}>vIparHa'!
}>
}>Go north. <peQ chem lurgh yIghoS>
}
}Erm... cha' lurgh "ghoS" peQ chem.  wa''e' yIngu'.

vISovbej.  lurgh lugh vIqawbe'pu'mo' vIja'be'.

}And don't forget that not only is the direction "positive" magnetic field
}an arbitrary convention, but so for that matter is the whole notion of
}magnetic lines of force.  The field certainly has preferred directions, but
}only in that it treats some differently from others.  Which ones you
}consider "along" the lines and which you consider "across" them depends on
}the math you choose to use (assuming you have "lines of force" anyway.)

Yeah, I couldn't remember the convention here, but I'm sure that Klingons
have their own.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level