tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 05 07:55:36 1997

N,S,E,W

In my opinion north is north, you have a word for it or you don't. It
should definately be an issue for Mr. Okrand at his next conference.
Also north is not only a word for a direction it is also used to
indicate position (at least on Earth it is) using latitude and
longitude. How could you express a position on a planet's surface
without a reference to a fixed point ie. the north pole of the planet.
I doubt a Klingon would refer to his position as 'magnetic field
direction 003, sleeping star 179'

ps how about using sunrise and sunset (in whatever order) to represent
East and West. They are arbitrary to almost all planets (including
Kronos)

qelayn

pejatlhchu'
--