tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 30 12:16:20 1997

Re: A KGT Pun (Sub)

On 26 Aug 97 at 9:49, Robyn Stewart wrote:

> >Um, "A hero ain't nothin' but a sandwich". Like the "Sub" sandwich
> >popular at the world-spanning "Sub"way chain, qar'a'?
>
> An American-Greek fast food sandwich of rotisseried beef and lamb on
> a pita is called a gyros. [...] Gyros came into American English as
> "hero" and the meaning got extended to subs, sandwiches made in
> a long, SUBmarine-like bun.  Hence hero = sub.

Mmm, interesting. I do know about gyros. The sandwich is just called
"broodje gyros" here in Holland, where "broodje" simply means
sandwich. Good to know these things are known as "hero" in the US.
;-)

> Why is this relevant enough to be worth posting?  My research
> reveals that virtually all restaurant supplies for the manufacture
> and sales of gyros are controlled by a company called
> Kronos-Central.  How could I not tell you?
> - Qov, who is almost completely sure this is a coincidence

Are you really sure about that? Coincidence doesn't exist. Just look
at all the new words in KGT... <grin>

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

Back to archive top level