tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 28 09:05:40 1997

Re: defective verbs

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997 17:49:57 -0700 (PDT) Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I just noticed that {nga'chuq} isn't listed in KGT...
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Many words are not listed there, apparently on purpose. At one
point at qep'a', Okrand seemed to be intentionally taking me to
the side to tell me that the new book did have a new word list
that included many but not all of the words on our online word
list. It felt as if, out of some form of respect, he was
intentionally giving that list a reason to continue to exist.
That was reinforced by his including in KGT two errors I made in
the New Words List. I feel like he was accommodating me in a
style similar to the way he accommodates Paramount. This is an
amusing thought, though I'll try to keep my impact minimal.

Unless, of course, I am somehow able to get the word 'arlogh...

While I appreciate respect in almost any form, I tried to
express my sincere intent. The online word list exists to fill a
void. If there were a new dictionary available today that had
all the words in it, I'd gladly take down the New Words list
with no bad feelings. In an ideal world, I'd like everyone to
have a complete word list so we could more easily use the
language.

My life has been delightfully busy of late. I want to write
about it here in Klingon, but I honestly don't have time. [This
is good.] That also means that, unlike many here, I have not
finished updating my dictionaries yet. Of course, since I have
more of them to update than most, this is understandable.

Anyway, as a warning, when the next update occurs to the New
Word List, all words currently in the list which are in KGT will
be eliminated for the same reasons the TKD words were never put
in the New Words List: Okrand deserves his royalties for his
good work. I'll only note errors or otherwise "new" definitions
for words there, so that you must combine TKD, KGT and the New
Words List for a complete word list.

For those who don't have KGT yet, don't worry a lot. It will
likely be weeks before I make another update to the New Words
List. You should have KGT by then, and if you are worried about
it, use your browser to save the current New Words List to your
hard drive.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level