tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 26 20:09:10 1997

Re: lut tlhaQ

At 06:39 PM 8/26/97 -0700, Qov wrote:
>At 07:32 AM 8/26/97 -0700, ter'eS wrote:
>>At 11:28 PM 8/25/97 -0700, muHwI' wrote:
>>>Now that I do understand your joke (it IS funny)
>>>DaH lut tlhaQ vIyajchu'. tlhaQqu'.
>
>teH.  ngo' 'ach tlhaQtaH.

'ej jIH je. 8+)

>>>Why do you say {wa' tera'ngan} ?
>>>Isn't it enough to say {tera'ngan},
>>>or do you want to say "ONE terran"
>>>instead of "A terran"?
>>
>>This is just a style I like.  I'm trying for the
>>feel of the English formula for such jokes: "A man
>>walks into a bar..."
>
>I won't argue with your sense of style, and there is nothing wrong with
>saying wa' loD, but the translation of "A man goes into a bar" *is* "tach
>'el loD."

I didn't mean it was a direct translation. It just has for me the same
sort of "Get ready for this..." feel that "A man goes into a bar" has.
On the other hand, since Klingon nouns don't need plural suffixes, "tach
'el loD" could also mean "(Some) men walk into a bar".  It might not be a
bad idea to set the scene a little more clearly before going on.

>Qov  ([email protected])
>Beginning Beginners' Grammarian

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/2711