tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 26 18:22:15 1997

Re: KLBC: qIDHom

At 04:53 PM 8/26/97 -0700, Dr Lawrence M Schoen wrote:

>Qel pa'Daq 'el tera'ngan.

The vIttlhegh {HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el} indicates that 'el is like ghoS in
that the thing entered is a direct object, not a noun with Daq.
Qel pa' 'el tera'ngan

>"DeSDu'wI' vIjaDDI' jI'oy'qu'." jatlh Human.

Even though the arms are attached to a speech-capable Human, they themselves
are not speaking beings, so you should use the possessive suffix -wIj.
DesDu'wIj vIjaDDI' ...

>"yIjaDQo'." jatlh Qel.

The patient is being ordered not to hurl his or her arms (plural) about, so
the imperative prefix {tI-} for a third person plural object is needed here.
tIjaDQo'.

As for the choice of word {jaD}, it sounds odd to me "hurl ones arms about"
but I haven't seen the context in KGT yet so I give you the benefit of the
doubt.
Qov  ([email protected])
Beginning Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level