tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 24 06:04:09 1997

Re: Asking (was: That's 'aD)

ghItlh SuStel:

>We've heard {tlhob} as both a verb of saying (lutlhob naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq
>majaHlaH'a'? -- PK, jokes) and as a verb with an object and without a
quote
>(juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob -- KGT p. 184). In the second
>one, {tlhob} is clearly used with its idea of "request." (Either that, or
>it's evidence that verbs of saying can take indirect quotations, but I
don't
>believe that just yet.) I would guess that {tlhob} carries a very broad
>meaning, combining all of asking for information and requesting something
be
>done, while {ghel} refers ONLY to asking a question.
>
>I wouldn't be surprised if {ghel} were also a verb of saying, since
there's
>very little it could take as an object anyway, and quotations aren't
objects.

I am thinking now - perhaps tlhob means to request, and is also used to set
up a quoted question, while ghel would be used to refer to the general act
of asking a question.

bIgheltaH 'e' yImev!
Stop asking questions!

DaSovbe'chugh, yIghel.
If you don't know, ask.

bIghelbe'chugh, nItoj pagh.
If you don't ask, no one will decieve you.

DaSov DaneHbe'chugh, yIghelQo'.
If you don't want to know, don't ask.

Of course, this is only speculation.

Qermaq