tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 22 21:51:30 1997

Re: Day of Honor Postcard

[email protected] on behalf of Kenneth Traft wrote:
> English).  One side has the Klingon symbol is light read and the phrase
>
> SuvwI'
> quvlIj yIqel!
> (Consider Your Warrior's Honor!)
>
> printed over the klingon symbol.

Is the translation also printed or did you translate it(I don't know where I
put my copies of the postcard)?

According to KGT pp. 49-50, a more specific term to use for this meaning is
{vaj}:

vaj quvlIj yIqel!
Consider your warrior's honor!

If the first word was intended as direct address, then {SuvwI'} is the
appropriate term and {vaj} would be wrong:

SuvwI'!
Warrior!

quvlIj yIqel!
Consider your honor!

Note that {SuvwI' quvlIj} for "your warrior's honor" is not wrong, but is not
as specific or evocative as {vaj quvlIj}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level