tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 22 06:49:13 1997

RE: wI'oj?

charghwI' writes:
>I think I found a boo boo in KGT. Page 102. One yells at the
>waiter, <<jabwI'! wI'oj!>>..I think I would have expected {ma'oj}

I noticed that too, but I ignored it.  After all, the context here
involves the person already having had several rounds of presumably
intoxicating drink. :-)

Kenneth Traft replies:
>It could mean that we don't have to worry about the differences in prefixes.

No, it doesn't mean we shouldn't worry.  It means people *do* make
mistakes and we probably shouldn't jump down their throat for doing it
in casual conversation.  However, I still reserve the right to jump
down the throat of anyone who tries to *teach* people to use the wrong
words, suffixes, and/or prefixes.

>The use of mamevQo' in the anthem!

What about the use of {mamevQo'} in the anthem?  It means "We won't stop."
There's no object; {ma-} is correct here.

>Maybe the POOR grammarians will be out of a job if Okrand publishes MORE!!!!

HHHHHHHHHHHHardly.  Look at how much confusion this book has caused.
If anything, the grammarians' role is *more* important because of the
newly revealed and implied usages.  Somebody has to act as a brake on
all the misunderstandings and unwarranted speculation! :-P

>I be very bad! <*vI*qabqu'>

nuqjatlh?  toH.  bItlhaQ 'e' DanID qar'a'?  *sigh*

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level