tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 21 08:16:27 1997

Re: yu-bIm-'egh

>Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:26:29 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>
>According to Neal Schermerhorn:
>>
>> ghItlh charghghghwI':
>>
>> This is possible, but listen to the excerpt from Aktuh and Melora in
>> Unification Pt. II. This 'aria' clearly starts with an octave.
>
>That doesn't indicate anything. An octave could simply be an
>arbitrary interval within a larger scale, like a perfect fifth
>is for the music we are more familiar with.

Um, I have a sinking suspicion that anything you guys come up with will not
be borne out with any regularity whatsoever in any actual shows or movies,
so I wouldn't really rely on them much.  The folks writing the pieces for
TV and the movies are almost certainly going to be thinking ordinary
octaves and Western music and all, no matter how smart your model is, so if
you're intent on modelling them, you likely won't get anything more alien
than major and minor scales with accidentals.  I've heard *mildly* atonal
terran music that sounds FAR more alien than Aktuh and Melora or Qoy qeylIS
puqloD.

>And since your average (untrained) singing range pretty much
>maxes out at an octave and a fifth (really straining for those
>last two notes, while admittedly, classically trained voices
>typically stretch to two octaves) we can just assume that
>Klingons don't DO falsetto and an octave and a fifth is their
>vocal range. They might like a scale that fits their entire
>vocal range instead of arbitrarily slicing it at the octave
>repeating half a scale for the upper range.

Yeah, but why assume their singing voices are at all like ours, if their
ears needn't be.

~mark

Back to archive top level