tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 21 07:26:21 1997

"targh Hol"?

Since we're seeing quite a few elements of "Paramount Hol" being dragged
(perhaps kicking and screaming) towards Okrand-canonized status, I 'd like
to make a suggestion for "what to call" non-standard, slangy, and
otherwise less-than-approved-of-by-the-guardians-of-proper-Klingon:

		"targh Hol"

I like that this sounds roughly like ta' Hol, and that these terms have a
nice parallel with the English terms "pigeon English" versus "the King's
English".

[Lest I assume "pigeon english" is a well known term, from Hypertext
Webster Gateway: http://work.ucsd.edu:5141/cgi-bin/http_webster?pigeon

Pigeon English: [perhaps a corruption of business English], an
    extraordinary and grotesque dialect, employed in the commercial cities
    of China, as the medium of communication between foreign merchants and
    the Chinese. Its base is English, with a mixture of Portuguese and
    Hindoostanee.  --Johnson's Cyc. ]

   joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
 **mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'**
    http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon * [email protected]
 **Depart from evil, and do good; Seek peace, and pursue it**

Back to archive top level