tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 20 10:35:41 1997

Re: Hoch, HochHom, bID, 'op

tera'ngan jIH. pongwIj 'oH yanDroS joH'e'. vIyIn 'oH *Scotland*'e'

*English* *specify*taH wotchugh wa' law' ghap, 'ej mu'tlheg choHtaH.

'Sheep are grazing' 'ach 'A sheep is grazing.'

~yanDroS

NB *Scotland*Daq wIghajbe' *KGT*. naDevDaq *September 1997*.

At 21:20 18/08/97 -0700, William H. Martin wrote:
>> > Which is correct?
>> > cha' wISop
>> > cha' DISop
>
>We are not sure. Most likely, these are not the same. {cha} is
>inherantly plural, sort of like the word "rain" or "grass" is
>for English. Rain is falling (not rain are falling) and grass is
>green (not grass are green). Meanwhile, if we use numbers as
>nouns, we say, "Two are coming down the road." We don't say,
>"Two is coming down the road."
>
>It is not necessarily true that Klingon will follow these
>examples, since English is inconsistent. Sheep are grazing. It
>is not the case that sheep is grazing. Cattle are restless, not
>cattle is restless.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka (I found it)' but 'That's funny...' "
-- Isaac Asimov

Back to archive top level