tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 19 07:28:29 1997

New suffix in KGT

I was surprised and pleased to see that Okrand has given us a >new verb suffix<:
-la'/-luH, meaning "one can".  It should now be possible to translate things
like {ghopDap yoS chIjla'bogh} "navigable asteroid field".  True, he says it's
slang and should be avoided unless the speaker is very comfortable with
Klingon culture, but, hey, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with it, and I bet
you are, too.

If Okrand is going to monkey with verb suffixes, I have a suggestion: use
certain
verbs as if they were suffixes.  Three prime canditates for me would be {neH},
{Hech} (both as Type 2's) and {chaw'} (as a Type 5), so you could say things
like:

*qama' vIHoHneHbej   "I definitely want to kill the prisoner"
*qama' vIHoHHechbej  "I definitely intend to kill the prisoner"
*qama' vIHoHchaw'bej "I'm definitely allowed to kill the prisoner"

He could call them recently discovered suffixes, youthful slang or an ad-hoc
grammatical transgression like -la'/-luH.

Well, just an idea from my wishlist...

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/2711

Back to archive top level