tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 16 10:44:18 1997

Re: Why Klingon ?

[email protected] wrote:

> My father always asked me:
> reH muyu' vavwI':
> Why are you learning that fake language?
> qatlh Holqoq DaHaD?
> A language of a race that doesn't even exist?
> SaHbe'bogh Segh Hol.

     Linguists commonly study artificial languages to learn more about
how real languages work.  The reasons are the same as for studying
Esperanto, Lojban, or any of their cousins.  Studying a special
language is a standard exercise for many academic disciplines.

> One that nobody speaks?
> Hol jatlhlu'be'.

     This is obviously false.  *I* speak it.  Seqram speaks it.
ghunchu'wI' speaks it.  At least a dozen more people I could name
speak it.  Convey to your father that I do not appreciate being
characterized as a "nobody".

> Why don't you study more for school?
> qatlh DuSaQvaD bIHaDbe'?
> Is that any use to you?
> SoHvaD lo'laH'a' Holvam?

     Learning a language, any language, is always useful.  Whether it
is Klingon, Esperanto, Ancient Greek, Spanish, or FORTRAN, the effect
is the same.  It causes you to form new ways of thinking, and new ways
of approaching problems.  This is of inestimably great benefit in all
areas of study.  Furthermore, every language you learn makes it easier
to learn others.  This is a well-documented fact and is not disputed.

> I do like klingon, I've learned many things from this
> list and not only about Klingon.

     majQa'.  I personally learned more about myself by studying
Klingon.  The casual RP that we engage in here made me evaluate how I
might apply the values of honor, forthrightness, accuracy, and
strength to my own life.  I feel I am a better person for this
contemplation.

> Could you give me some arguments WHY we all
> are learning the Klingon Language!

     DuQaH jabbI'IDvam 'e' vItulqu'.  navDaq jabbI'IDvam yIghItlh, 'ej
vavlI'vaD yI'ang.  ghaHvaD vIghItlh.  meqvammo' DIvI' Hol neH vIlo'.
     'ach yIqIm!  reH vavlI' yIvuv.  lughchugh qechmeyDaj, quv'egh
ghaH, 'ach lughHa'chugh qechmeyDaj, vavlI' ghaHtaH.  qorDu'lI'
yIquvHa'Qo'.

wIvqu', law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |       [email protected]       |
| I could be wrong.  After all, there's  |                           |
|      a first time for everything.      | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |