tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 15 13:43:15 1997

Re: KLBC: adjectives

Just to add to the discussion:

I remember when I was confused by this word order stuff with
adjectival verbs when I first encountered it. I was apparently
quite thick-skulled about it and Krankor was rather displeased
with my slowness in understanding. I believe it was the one
really nasty, screaming, cursing fight we ever had.

Ahhh, memories.

Anyway, word order is everything with these verbs. As SuStel
explained:

jav pu'HIchmey tIn
Five big phaser pistols

But he didn't point out:

tIn jav pu'HIchmey
The five phaser pistols are big.

paq chu'

New book.

chu' paq.

The book is new.

tIn paq chu'.

The new book is big.

chu' paq tIn.

The big book is new.

Get it?

charghwI'

According to David Trimboli:

> On Stardate 97621.2 muHwI' wrote:
>
> > I have a question on verbs that are
> > treated as adjectives, I mean those
> > that are translated "be ..." in TKD.
> >
> > CK:
> > jav pu'HIchmey tIn
> >
> > your subject line:
> > Re: paq chu' vISuqta'!
> >
> > I am not sure about where the verb is to be put.
> > Must it be in front or behind the ... eh ... thing?
>
> When a verb expressing a quality is placed after a noun, it modifies that noun
> like an English adjective.  Thus,
>
> pu'HIchmey tIn
> big phaser pistols
>
> paq chu'
> new book
>
> As a side-note, remember that when a noun with a Type 5 suffix (other than
> {-'e'}) is modified by an adjectival verb, the suffix is transferred to the
> verb.  For example,
>
> Duj mach
> small ship
>
> Duj machDaq
> in the small ship
>

> loD qej
> grouchy man
>
> loD qejmo'
> because of the grouchy man
>
> > My newwords-list-icon, is it {mu'mey chu'} ?
>
> maj!
>
> mu'mey chu'
> new words
>
> --