tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 13 08:47:31 1997

To -'e' or Not To -'e'

In one of the descriptions of a Klingon dialect (Morska, I
think), Okrand remarks that the dialect does not normally add
the {-'e'} to the subject of a "to be" sentence. This explains
the {Dujvets 'o nuq, reen} line in ST5. Meanwhile, it provides a
counterargument to those who believe that the presence of the
{-'e'} implies that the subject is the focus of the sentence.

These individuals would choose to translate {charghwI' 'oH
pongwIj'e'} as "As for my name, it is charghwI'." They believe
that the {-'e'} on the subject of a "to be" sentence has the
same symantic implications that it has in any other sentence.

Meanwhile, in KGT, Okrand points out that in this dialect,
sometimes the speaker uses the {-'e'} and other times he does
not. When he does, it indicates focus, as in, "As for my name,
it is charghwI'." When it is missing, the sentence merely means,
"My name is charghwI'."

Okrand points out that for speakers of any other dialect of
Klingon, there is no way to distinguish between the existance or
absence of focus on the subject of a "to be" sentence. The
{-'e'} is needed for arbitrary syntax and does NOT imply focus.

So, I strongly suggest that when I say, {charghwI' 'oH
pongwIj'e'} or {pongwIj 'oH charghwI''e'}, I'm just saying, "My
name is charghwI'," and "charghwI' is my name," respectively.
There is no focus implied. Which noun is the subject and which
is the object will make a difference in some settings, as in
when the subject is a memeber of a class of nouns described with
the object. Otherwise, it becomes less important which is the
subject and which is the object.

toQDujvetlh 'oH DujwIj'e'.

DujwIj 'oH toQDujvetlh'e'.

Both of these work for me. There is no "As for my ship..." or
"As for that Bird-of-Prey..." implied.

Also, as a side note, knowing that the outpost guard spoke such
a dialect explains why the guards were so patient with Uhura. He
is probably quite accustomed to being misunderstood and in not
quite being able to understand Klingons he is talking to.
Uhura's Teran accent probably doesn't sound any weirder to him
than the other dialects he deals with daily.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level