tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 11 19:44:23 1997

Re: KLBC: curses with plural

>Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 09:08:04 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>On Stardate 97599.1 muHwI' wrote:
>
>> In many languages you can use epithets with plural:
>>
>> How about Klingon?
>>
>> yIntagh  ---> yIntaghpu' ?
>> taHqeq  ---> taHqeqpu' ?
>
>We have no information about this.  However, the good news is that in Klingon
>the plural suffix is almost never required.  Until we get more information,
>you can get away with just saying {taHqeq} and forgetting about whether it's
>plural or not.

True enough.  Though FWIW I'm inclined to accept plurals on epithets.
Near as I can tell they ought to work like nouns.

(Does that mean you can put ANY noun-suffix on them?  Maybe you CAN but
maybe you SHOULD not.  I recall trI'Qal used to like saying "taHqeqoy" as a
term of endearing insult (something to call friends).  But that's trI'Qal.
I'd rather not get into nitpicking about petaQHey and Qovpatlhna'...)

~mark

Back to archive top level