tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 11 08:00:16 1997

Re: Aw, shucks

At 03:41 AM 8/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
>   Now I've learnt something about the pronunciation of klingon. I would
>expect that "Aw, shucks" would be pronounced [o(r) {without rolling the
>'r'} shuks] not [aa shuks]

Just out of curisity, where are you from?  Everyone in my area of the U.S.
(Houston, TX) would probably disagree with you.  At least around here, "Aw"
is pronounced very much like the Klingon {'a}, with an "almost-r" after it
(sorry I'm not a linguist!).  I know the sound I'm describing is heard in
French, or at least the Cajun French of Louisiana.  It's like an "r," but
you don't complete the tongue motion inside the mouth.  Anyway, {a} (or
"ah") seems much closer to me than {o} (or "oh").  Hmmm... maybe its just
in our pronunciation of the English?

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level