tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 06 12:25:28 1997

Re: KLBC: Power Klingon

On Stardate 97597.1 muHwI' wrote:
> ghItlh SuStel:
>
> > Also, {maja'chuqjaj} really isn't used correctly.  He's said something
> which
> > comes out more like "May it be so that we speak!"
>
> (from "The Grammarians Desk", page 53)
>

[...]After

>         all, not all uses of  {-jaj}  are for toasts  and the like.
Consider
> this
>         sentence from the opening dialogue of the tape:
>
>                                        {maja'chuqjaj}
>                                        Can we talk?
>
>                     This  is  just  daily  conversation,  not a toast or a
> piece of
>         ritual.  This certainly supports  the notion that  there  are
>  perfectly
>         mundane uses of {-jaj}, and it seems quite reasonable  to conclude
>         that these would folow normal grammar [...] etc...etc...
>
> So, my question now is, did Qanqor change this thing, or what is about
> {maja'chuqjaj} ?

Krankor and I just happen to disagree, that's all.  Neither of us is
authoritative.  He believes that the Terran was correctly using Klingon, while
I believe he was not.

> > If he really just wanted to talk, he should have said {maja'chuq}.
> {maja'chuq} does just mean "we talk (to each other)". How can it mean "I
want
> to talk" ?

Literally, "I want to talk" would be {maja'chuq vIneH}.

Klingon is a lot more dependant on context than English is.  Let me answer
your question this way.  If I walked up to you out of the blue, pointed to a
quiet corner, and said {maja'chuq}, you'd understand exactly what I meant,
right?  That's how Klingon works.  We've seen it before.  For example, {Ha'!
DaH matlhutlh}, translated as "Let us go get a drink."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level