tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 30 19:59:41 1997

Re: family suffixes

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Steven Boozer wrote:

> qoror wrote:
> |< does that mean we might be able to construct compound words with that?
> |< (As canonical as other compound words of ours.) Such as... let me
> |< think... "naltay" for "marriage"? >>
> |
> |We already have a tlhIngan Hol word for "marriage":  {tlhogh}.
> |
> |peHruS
>
> As well as two verbs for "marry":  {Saw} (groom does this) and {nay} (bride
> does this).  In light of {nalqaD} however, {*naltay} isn't a bad candidate
> for "wedding, marriage ceremony".

I have another possible alternative, this may not be acceptable... but
what about the combination of the male-female verbs for "to marry" ? If
I'm reading what's above me right, we could use "Sawnay" or "naySaw" for
<<marriage ceremony, wedding>>

Just my two targhs thrown in there....

Qapla'

Name : Q'ISto'va (Eliseo Christopher d'Annunzio, Esquire)
Email: [email protected]
URL  : http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~qris

Back to archive top level