tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 30 18:14:54 1997

Re: qI' (was: vaj KLBC)

ja' DloraH:
>>We know from TKD that {qI'} means "sign (a treaty)."  How do we know we can
>>use it for "sign (a book)?"  Please tell me your source.
>
>My oppinion, for what it's worth...I believe putting "(a treaty)" in the
>definition was just to clarify that it is the act of putting your name down,
>as opposed to meaning something like a hand signal type of signing.

If it were supposed to be less restrictive in the first place, I'd have
expected it to be "sign (a document)".  Absent evidence to the contrary,
I don't like using it to mean anything except "sign (a treaty)".  Maybe
that evidence exists on MSN, but *I* haven't seen it.  Until I do, I'll
treat {qI'} as meaning something like "approve or ratify (a document) by
affixing a signature, seal, or other mark".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level